Search This Blog

Monday, May 18, 2009

Floral Hairbows with photos

I see these all over the place, and my daughter wanted me to make her one. I've seen them sold for up to $20. I can make several for that amount.
Supplies:
Hot Glue Gun (and glue)
Large daisies or your preferred flower (I buy a bunch from my local craft store when they're on sale.)
Coordinating ribbon
Metal hair clips or barrettes
Small wire cutter OR a pair of sharp scissors

Directions:
1. Cut a piece of ribbon long enough to cover the clip.
2. Use hot glue to attach to the clip. You need to do this in short sections. I started with gluing the ribbon underneath, secured that, then put more hot glue- to about the middle of the barrette, secured that, the other half, secured that, and then the under side and secured that. If the hot glue does harden up before you get the glue down just heat it up with your hair dryer and reattach. (HINT- This also works if the ribbon or flower gets detached.)
3. Separate the flower layers from each other. Use the wire cutters to cut the flower from the stem. When you pull the center of the flower out there will be a little green nub that everything went into. Cut this so it's even with the bottom. Set aside.
4. Glue the flower in layers, from the bottom up. Push down firmly between each layer to make sure that they are attached well. I glue clear across the barrette for the first layer, and then a dollop of glue in the center for the remaining layers.
This shows how it looks as you glue the layers together. It looks kind of funny until you get them all together.
This is how it will look when you end with the center of the flower.
They're really quite quick and simple to make. I made 21 flower barrettes for my daughter's luau party in under an hour.
If you want to embellish further you can add glitter, sequins, etc. Now I just need to make something so I can store without mushing them up!

Here is how it looks in our hair. You can make them big or small.

2 comments:

christinebirch said...

I always want to make these but the flowers at Micheal's are huge and would look silly on Evelyn's little head. She loves the one you made her!

Maryann said...

They can be found! We'll go together sometime and I'll show you where. They're super cool and easy to make.