Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

German Chocolate Cake

I got to make dessert for my dad's birthday. Because it's summer I had planned to make a nice, summery lemon poppy seed cake. But... at 1:00 a.m. if you don't have all of the ingredients you either make do with what you have (not possible this time) or you change your plans.
Growing up, I remember going to my dad's parents' house for a birthday dinner. The cake that my grandma served was the BEST CAKE EVER! My grandma can cook better than almost anyone else I know... no joke. I was in LOVE with that cake, and my mom made it for my birthday every year for several years after. Fast forward several years, and several store bought cakes or "homemade from a box and can of frosting" later I had lost my taste for it. Then I got a Hershey's cookbook for my birthday one year. I turned to the German Chocolate Cake recipe, and was ecstatic. I made it for a family birthday party, and everyone loved it. My mother-in-law's husband, whose family is German, raved over it, so I felt it passed the test. You can find the recipe on the Hershey's website under recipes. Search for German Chocolate Cake. (Sorry, it won't let me link it.)

No comments: