Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Completed Baby Blankets with Scalloped Crochet Edge

Here is how the baby boy blanket looked after I finished crocheting the scalloped edge. I am including photos of the process with a thicker thread (for my girl blanket) so that you can see it well enough to replicate the edges yourself.This is how the blanket looked after I single crocheted once around.This is how to start the second row.This is how the second row looks when completed.To start the third row single crochet in one hole, skip a hole, then double crochet 5 times into a single hole. Skip a hole and repeat until you're done.This shows how it looks when you have completed 5 double crochets into the single hole and you skip a hole and go to the second hole.This is just showing the above explanation.


This is how it looks going around a corner.

Now if I can do this almost anyone can do this. I just learned to crochet a few weeks ago. I started by making wash rags, and this was the second project I learned. It's really a simple process of repetition. Once you do it once you should be able to repeat with more speed and accuracy each time. The hardest part for me was learning to hold the thread around my hand and finger with the correct tension. I have been shown 3 different ways by 3 different women, so really it's a matter of personal preference. Also, the first blanket (shown at top and in a previous post) used a really thin thread. It was a good thread to learn with. However, I prefer the look of the thicker thread that I used on the girl blanket. I think it holds its shape a lot better, and stands out a lot more. But, again, it's just a matter of personal preference.

* Quick note- I haven't found a machine that will poke large holes for me. I have heard that there are people who will punch the holes with a machine for $1 a side. However, I found out that my new sewing machine ($119.97 at WalMart) had a hem stitch option. I got a wing needle, and stitched without thread about 3/16" in around the entire blanket. It made it much easier to keep things even. I poked through every other hole. When necessary I used the ice pick to enlarge the holes. Also, the second blanket (girl) was a lot thicker felt than the blue blanket. It seemed to be a lot easier to work with.

** You can also add a back to the blanket if you want to have a print and solid color or a print on both sides. I haven't added any to mine, but I was told that you can sew two materials together, then poke the holes and do the same process I used. I was also told that you can single crochet around both of them, then use the second row to put them together, then continue onto the third row. I think I would opt for the first of these two options because it would be difficult to make the stitches line up exactly.

*** The lady at the fabric store asked what I was making, and I told her that the only complaint I have about the felt (especially the thinner felt) is that I can't get it to iron flat. She suggested that I go to the dollar store and buy a product called Magic Sizing. She said it's a lot lighter than starch, but that it adds enough to the material that it will iron flat and keep its shape better.

No comments: