Search This Blog

Friday, March 6, 2009

More of a hobby thing

Less of a craft thing.  But I just finished this book:
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  Now don't be intimidated by the 1,067 pages, or by the people who have told you that it is a book all about economics and politics.  Those are the things that made me think I wouldn't like it.  But guess what?  I did like it.  Ayn Rand is a good story teller.  And for you girls (cause I doubt there are many guys who read this blog, but I could be wrong - it has been known to happen), there is romance!  I also thought this would be one of those wordy books.  And it is - in a way.  But not in the way that kept me from reading it.  Let me explain that.  When I read a book, I want to be entertained.  I am past the time in my life where I have to read books only for the purpose of learning something or getting a good grade or passing a test or whatever.  When I read a book, I don't want to have to think too hard about it.  That's not to say that I don't read books to learn stuff anymore.  It's just that that is the exception rather than the standard nowadays.  I mostly want to enjoy myself and escape for a little while.  Which is the biggest reason why I have yet to make it all the way through any Jane Austen book, or The Count of Monte Cristo, or Les Miserables.  (All books that are on my list of books to read.)  But back to Atlas Shrugged.  Sometimes it can get a little wordy, and her heros tend to get long winded, but it's not hard to follow or understand.

Bottom line:  I highly recommend this book.  But be warned:  It will change the way you think about everything.  It did for me.  That doesn't necessarily mean that it will change your opinions, beliefs, or values.  But it will change the way you think about them.

Has anyone else read this?  Did you have a similar experience?  Did you enjoy the book, or not at all?  I really want to know!

1 comment:

Marsha said...

I should have known you have read and loved this book. We had so much in common when we met! This is one of my all time favorite, life changing books! Thanks for sharing!

Marsha