Search This Blog

Monday, October 12, 2009

Candy Corn Decorations

I saw a picture of some felt candy corn that a friend had made so I decided to do the same. This is a really simple craft to make if you have a sewing machine and basic sewing skills. (Mine are not much better than basic so if I can do it so can you!) The hardest part for me is always cutting the pieces out. And that's not even hard, just a little time consuming.

Supplies Needed:
Orange felt sheets
Yellow felt sheets
White felt sheets
Orange thread
Batting
Marking pen or marker
Scissors
Sewing machine
Pattern for candy corn (printed to desired size from computer)

Directions:
  1. Cut out candy corn printed from your computer. Then cut along each color.
  2. Trace each shape onto desired color of felt and then cut them out. Remember that these are double sided so you'll need to double the number you cut out. (If you want 5 total, then you'll cut out 10 total of each piece.)
  3. Sew the three pieces together. I used the zigzag stitch so they would easily stay together.
  4. After you finish sewing the 3 pieces together then get two complete candy corns and put them back to back. Using a straight stitch sew beginning at the widest portion on the end. When you're about 3" from your starting point start filling with batting. Finish sewing shut, making sure there is no gap.
  5. After I finished sewing I used my scissors to trim around the edges to make sure they were even. Mine ended up being about 6" tall. If I made them a little bigger I would have gone around the edges with pinking shears.
  6. Decorate as you will. I put mine in a jar. If you want to you could always sew coordinating ribbon on in loops and hang as garland. *Another option is to use the dark brown instead of the yellow for a twist on the candy corn. Use your imagination and have fun!

No comments: